A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Storyboards

Rose and an unknown partner in crime rob a train in a sequence I'm currently storyboarding. The sequence will be used as an example in an internship I'm co-instructing this summer. Below are a couple examples from the sequence. These are pretty much the same level of roughness as when I produce production boards, which allows me to move quickly and try things out without burning up too much time.







Clarity over cleanliness is something I strive for. I don't mind if a drawing is rough as long as it reads and gets the point of the shot across.



It's been fun working with these characters outside of the comics environment. I get to flesh them out more in their movements and actions.

More to come...

10 comments:

Vinny said...

Wow, these are really great! How did you come up with the dimensions for the frame? It appears you chose to storyboard these in a wide screen type format.

Blake Himsl Hunter said...

I like the idea of clarity over cleanliness, it's something I need to work on in my own work.

de aap said...

Is this for the Pixar story-internship? Nice to know that even though I didn't make the cut I'm still able to have a look at your teachings, thanks!

I like these boards a lot, which program do you use to draw?

looking foward to the next posts!

Octavio E. Rodriguez said...

Love this!

Intentionally Imperfect Role Model for Superheroes and Other Super Things ("Have no fear, imagination is here!") said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! Are individual elements (such as the background, Rose, the train, etc.) on separate layers for eventual incorporation into an animatic? How are your layers organized?

Thanks again!

Murray Huber 3rd said...

I always appreciate the insight Ted. Looking forward to more.

Anson Jew said...

Great panel! I love the compositions. Your students will be quite lucky indeed!

I wonder if I'm too old to apply for an internship? :P

nickwatson said...

the "roughness" really adds to the motions of the characters...really nice!

OV! said...

(TM)

those are really nice boards, and i agree. clear over clean for sure.

>oVi

Quentin Lebegue said...

Clarity over cleanliness is an advice I see everywhere, I sure will keep this in mind !

I would love to see a complete sequence from you, or any other insights about how you approach storyboarding.

Your blog is very insightful, keep at it !!